Tuition, Fees and Refund Policies
As a traditional language school (Heritage School) recognized by the California Department of Education. The school offers courses in full-time Chinese classes (five days per week) or the option of part-time Chinese classes (four days a week), as well as middle school tutoring (grades 6 & up) and a variety of talent (extracurricular) courses.
- Full-time classes five days per week or part-time classes four days per week
- Students are placed in Chinese, English, and Math classes upon evaluation of skill levels.
- The school offers the following programs:
- Chinese: students are placed in traditional or simplified Chinese classes based on preference (both are provided)
- Mathematics: Strengthening of computing skills, Common Core Standards in English application problems, Math Olympiad, Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry etc.
- Traditional Language and Culture: Poetry, the Three Character Classic, Standards for Being a Good Student and Child, Chinese historical stories, idioms and proverbs, the Analects of Confucius, and Chinese folk songs)
- Talent curriculum: English (grades 2-9), JELIC, dance, singing, recorder, drum band, lion dance, arts and crafts, handmade crafts, Spanish, etc.
- Music ensemble: According to the instruments the students can play, we will arrange them as accompaniment in the songs we learn, interactive group activities, little percussion group…etc
- Standardized testing practice: CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress), advanced sixth grade testing (middle school math diagnostic tests)
- Electives: English writing class (second grade and up in small class settings), Kung Fu, MPM, art, chess, group music class, etc. The sessions for these classes last 8 weeks and fees are collected separately. There is no refund at the end he session for dropouts or absences.
- Middle school tutoring (grades, 6 & up)
In addition to regular tutoring, students are given standardized exam simulation exercises.
- Chinese strengthening classes (TK-9)
Zhuyin (traditional) or pinyin (simplified), traditional or simplified; includes a variety of teaching materials, allowing for a gradual and progressive improvement by increasing the depth and breadth of knowledge to create a solid foundation of the Chinese language.
- Full-time classes (TK-9, five days per week):Tuition for students who arrive at 12 p.m. is $550.00 per session (4 weeks, includes materials). This includes lunch (for those with food allergies, please provide lunch for your child).
For those who arrive after 2:30 p.m., tuition is $440.00 per session (4 weeks, includes materials).
- Part-time classes (TK-9, four days per week): An option of four days in the week (the selected days must remain constant throughout a session); tuition for those who arrive after 2:30 p.m. is $400 per session (4 weeks, includes materials).
※If during a last minute situation, your child needs to attend an extra full day of classes (regular one afternoon of classes), the fee is $30/day.
- Chinese strengthening classes (TK-9, five days per week):
Classes run for one hour. Tuition is $350.00 per session (4 weeks, includes materials).
※After the class is over, please pick up your child within 10 minutes. If your child is not picked up within the 10 minute grace period, a $10/hr Daycare fee will collected regardless of when they are picked up.
- Middle school tutoring (6 & up): For those who arrive after 2:30 p.m., tuition is $360.00 per session (4 weeks).
- If siblings attend the school simultaneously, the second sibling receives a 10% tuition discount.
- If at any time the number of days that your child can attend Happy Childhood changes, please inform our office one section before (4 weeks) in order to arrange administration and transportation.
- Students must be at least 4 years and 9 months old to enroll in the school.
- A prepayment of the last session’s tuition ($440) is required as a deposit at the time of registration. Those who do not comply with our policies as stated in this handbook will not receive a return of their deposits.
- The registration fee (non-refundable) for new students is $50.00 per student. The student’s sibling(s) receive a 20% discount on the registration fee.
- February/Spring Breaks and Staff Learning Days: The center provides morning day care starting at 8:30 a.m., with afternoon classes following the regular schedule. There must be a minimum of 5 students signed up for any childcare services. Day care fees are as follows: full day (8:30-2:30) $30.00, morning (before 12:00) $20.00, afternoon (12:01-2:30) $15. Those who arrive after 2:30 receive no additional charge.
- Parent/Teacher Conference Week early dismissal: A flat fee of $10 a day will be collected.
- All Day Childcare: Full day (8:30-6:00) $45.00, morning (before 12:00) $20.00, afternoon (12:01-6:00) $30.00. There must be a minimum of 5 students signed up for any childcare services.
- The center’s regular hours of operation are from 2:30 to 6 p.m. There is $1 per minute late charge for students picked up after 6:15 p.m. If a student needs to stay until 6:30 p.m. regularly, an extra $40 should be included with the tuition payment each session. The $1 per minute late charge also applies to students who are not picked up by 6:30 p.m.
- Tuition payments are due the second Friday of each session. Payments of more than 3 days overdue will have an additional fee of $10 late charge. $25 processing fee will be charged for each returned check.
- If a student needs to be absent, there is no refund for the first week of session; 50% tuition refunds will be given for the rest of the session.
- A two-week notice is required when a student does not plan to attend the next session. Deposit will be charged.
- Happy Childhood Education Center provides safe, legally insured transportation for our students. Transportation fees cover a period of 20 days (including Staff Learning Days, national holidays, and absences). Fares will vary based on the distance of the school to our center, as well as the number of students being transported.
- No fees will be collected for Thanksgiving, winter, Mid-Year, or Spring Recess.
- Transportation fees for students who attend the school four days a week cover a period of 16 days (including Staff Learning Days, national holidays, and absences). Fares will vary based on the distance and the amount of transported students.
- If your child has other extracurricular activities, please arrange their own transportation.
- We encourage parents to arrange their own transportation.
First Semester: 8/14/2016 - 12/15/2017 (All school districts, Chinese classes will begin at this time);
*Spring Semester: 1/2/2018 - 6/7/2018 (Cupertino School District)
(Dates are based on Cupertino School District’s Calendar; no day care service is provided for the legal holidays listed below)
- Independence Day (July 4, 2017)
- Labor Day (Sept. 4, 2017)
- Thanksgiving (Nov. 23, 24, 2017)
- Christmas Break (Dec. 18, 2017 - Jan. 1, 2018)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 15, 2018)
- Presidents’ Day (Feb. 19, 2018)
- Memorial Day (May 28, 2018)
Emergency and Administering of Medication
- In the event of a health emergency, the center will notify parents immediately; however, if the parents cannot be contacted, the center will follow state regulations and call 911 if needed.
- Students with high fever, diarrhea, vomiting or any other infectious disease must not come to the center for health and safety reasons and as in consideration of other students and staff. The fastest way for your child to get well is to rest. Parents please notify the center and driver when your child is going to be absent.
- If student contact a communicative disease, parents must notify Happy Childhood Education Center so that any exposure notice may be posted.
- It is not our practice to dispense medication to students. However, if a parent feels it is necessary, a written consent is required and physician must have prescribed the medications. We will monitor when your child takes his/her medication.
- The center strives to provide a healthy and comfortable environment for all students. In case of improper conduct by any student, the center will try to resolve the situation by counseling with the student and/or parents. If the misconduct persists, the center reserves the right to refuse admission for such students; a two- week notice will be given to parents regarding the dismissal prior to the next session.
- For the safety of your child and legal responsibility of the center, it is imperative that parents and drivers sign in and out on the attendance sheets each day.
- Please notify the center in advance if someone else other than the assigned driver or parent is transporting your child.
- Toys and dangerous items may not be brought to the center.